Galatea: Men's "The Lion" Ring from the Capitan Collection
"The Lion” Ring in Oxidized Sterling Silver & 14K Gold
In the Capitan Collection of fine jewelry for men, this ring stands out. The Lion and The Dragon are our two best-sellers. Not just among men's rings, but among our entire line! This standout ring is one you'll be proud to wear indeed.
- Wings with a sword
- Wings with a brush
- Lion protecting its cubs
The lion is a symbol of courage and strength. He is truly the King of the Jungle. The Archangel symbolizes protection from evil. The lion, with his baby in his mouth, symbolizes the act of taking care of one's family, protecting the weak, the young and the innocent.
The pair of wings with a sword in the center symbolizes freedom and physical strength and the pair of wings with the brush in the center symbolizes creativity, intellectual and spiritual balance.
Underneath the ring is engraved "E Pluribus Unum" meaning, "Out of many, one." This ring is designed for the man who graces life with great strength and courage.
-Chi Galatea Huynh
About the Capitan Collection:
These rings were created to salute the captain in every man. A “captain” is defined as a leader, a person who takes charge. He is the one who protects, who enters the unknown first for the benefit of crew or clan and does so with dedication and love.
These are men's rings that celebrate the most important elements in a man's life: Loyalty, Beauty, Wisdom, Honor, Family, Hope, Strength and Love. The inspiration for my designs came from ancient Japanese Samurai swords maker, Unno Moritoshi.
Years ago, I saw an exhibit of such artifacts at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was moved by the strength, love and dedication it took to create these instruments. So much artistry was required to decorate these swords--swords of honor yet also weapons of war and death--with delicately inlaid symbols.
Today, each ring in The Capitan Collection contains small elements and talismans that are forged, like the ancient swords that came before them, into deeply oxidized Sterling silver and 14k yellow gold.
With each ring, a legend is told and unfolds. And yet, like most good tales, the story of a man's life continues as the Universe moves forward. This is the never-ending story, the beauty of Life in all its mysteries. This is what I give you with The Capitan Collection.
Learn more about The Capitan Collection
- Our Pearl Quality Commitment
- Pearl Size Guide
- Return Policy
- Pearls of AAA quality have mirror-like luster with metallic sheen. They exhibit a 'depth' to their luster (often called 'orient') that makes them seem as if you are looking deep into the pearl.
- Pearls of AA quality have very good luster with a near-metallic/mirror-like effect. Though slightly less reflective and deep than AAA, they are still stunningly beautiful and shiny
- Pearls of A quality have good luster without variation or 'chalky' areas. They are highly reflective and exhibit "depth."
- Pearls below A quality level will have "milky" or "chalky" area and uneven luster.
- AAA quality pearls have virtually no surface blemishes and exhibit a very thick, even coat of nacre. Any blemishes that do exist will be tiny and barely noticeable, if noticeable at all, to the untrained eye.
- AA quality pearls have very slight surface blemishes with a very thick, even coat of nacre. Very small dimples or spots that are difficult to notice without very close examination
- A quality pearls have some surface blemishes, but most of the surface is clean and exhibits thick, even nacre. The blemishes that exist will not create any chips or breaks in the surface, nor be noticeable at conversation-distance.
- Pearls below A quality have blemishes that are noticeable at any distance. ANY break in the "nacre" surface is sub-A quality no matter how nice the remaining surface may be.
- AAA quality pearls will be perfectly round
- AA quality pearls may be ever-so-slightly off-round, but difficult to detect to the untrained eye.
- A quality pearls may be near-round to the trained eye or upon up-close examination, but will typically appear totally round from conversation-distance
- Pearls below A quality are off-round in shape, at a level to be noticeable at 'handshake" distance.
- Note that for pearls presented as button, baroque, fireball, or other 'fancy' shape, roundness is not part of the quality grading: In that case the quality rating would refer to the luster and surface of the pearl, not the roundness.
- 5mm or less: Generally recommended for young girls and/or very petite ladies.
- 6mm Pearls: A bit smaller than 'usual' - a good option for ladies 5'3" or under and/or with a particularly slender neck.
- 7mm - 8mm Pearls: The 'standard' size. Most pearl strands you've likely seen are about 7-8mm.
- 9mm - 10mm Pearls: Luxury size. Larger than the 'usual' pearl strand, but subtly so. (It is unusual to find Akoya Pearls larger than this).
- 11mm - 12mm Pearls: Noticeably larger than the norm. Typically only found in Freshwater, South Sea or Tahitian Pearls.
- 13mm - 16mm Pearls: A true 'statement' heirloom piece of jewelry. Only found in Freshwater, South Sea or Tahitian Pearls.
- 4mm pearls are about the same diameter as an unpopped popcorn kernel.
- 5mm pearls are about the same diameter as a #2 pencil's eraser.
- 6mm pearls are about the same diameter as a #2 pencil's shaft (a #2 pencil's shaft is 1/4" which is 6.3mm).
- 7mm pearls are about the same diameter as an average dress-shirt button.
- 8mm pearls are about the same diameter as a green pea (not the 'baby' peas, the regular ones your mom forced you to eat...).
- 9mm pearls are about the same diameter as an AAA battery.
- 10mm pearls are about the same diameter as an M&M Candy (the longer side).
- 12mm is just a hair under 1/2 inch, so 12mm pearls are about the same diameter as the thickness of a standard household sponge.
- 14mm pearls are about the same diameter as an AA battery.
- 16mm pearls are about the same diameter as the width of standard-size dice (or think of it as if you took a die and cut off the corners to make it round).
- 18mm pearls are about the same diameter as a dime.
- 20mm pearls are about half-way between a penny and nickel (19mm and 21mm respectively).
- 24mm pearls are about the same diameter as a quarter.
- Returned product must be in original condition, in the original box. That means the jewelry box - not the cardboard box we shipped it in. You can reuse or toss out the cardboard box (but please recycle!)
- Returns are valid for original purchaser only.
- Damaged & Altered Items: Regrettably, items that have been damaged or altered after receipt (e.g. rings that have been sized), cannot be returned. You wouldn't want to buy jewelry someone else banged up or modified, right? All items are carefully inspected before shipment. Should you receive an item that has been damaged in transit, please contact us immediately upon receipt.
- Items purchased with store credit from a prior return may be only be returned within 30 days, and only for store credit.
- Other Issues: If you have any other issues, questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us.
About the Capitan Collection
These items were created to salute the captain in every man. A “captain” is defined as a leader, a person who takes charge. He is the one who protects, who enters the unknown first for the benefit of crew or clan and does so with dedication and love. This is men's jewelry that celebrates the most important elements in a man's life: Loyalty, Beauty, Wisdom, Honor, Family, Hope, Strength and Love.
The inspiration for my designs came from ancient Japanese Samurai swords maker, Unno Moritoshi. Years ago, I saw an exhibit of such artifacts at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was moved by the strength, love and dedication it took to create these instruments. So much artistry was required to decorate these swords--swords of honor yet also weapons of war and death--with delicately inlaid symbols. Today, each item in The Capitan Collection contains small elements and talismans that are forged, like the ancient swords that came before them, into deeply oxidized Sterling silver and 14k yellow gold.
With each item, a legend is told and unfolds. And yet, like most good tales, the story of a man's life continues as the Universe moves forward. This is the never-ending story, the beauty of Life in all its mysteries. This is what I give you with The Capitan Collection.
Video Tour of the Capitan Collection
Galatea Carved Pearls were first created in the late '90s when Chi Huynh, founder of Galatea: Jewelry by Artist, accidentally "nicked" a pearl he was preparing for a Diamond in a Pearl setting. The cut that exposed the cultured pearl's mother-of-pearl bead fascinated him, and he wondered what would happen if he carved the entire pearl. He did and the result was spectacular.
Galatea's first carved pearls contained only Diamond in a Pearl settings. Today, Galatea Carved Pearls are integral to the entire Galatea line as a part of the Diamond in a Pearl, Queen Bead and Pearl Strand Collections. They are available in Tahitian (black South Sea), Golden South Sea as well as white and peach freshwater. These are what Chi likes to call, "Pearls Without Boundaries." Yes, the jewelry industry was startled when we first began to market carved pearls. But today, they are prized. Chi's Galatea Carved Pearls have won design numerous awards, including the CPAA International Pearl Design Competition's Visionary Award in 2012 (Galatea Queen Bead Collection). In 2012, our Levitating Queen Bead "Hope" Necklace was the winner of a JCK Jewelers' Choice Award for Pearl Jewelry Under $2,500.
The pearl carving process has become more streamlined over time but it is still painstakingly done by hand. In 2012, Galatea opened a second carving factory in Soc Trang, Vietnam, dedicated entirely to the craft. There are over 40 unique pearl carving styles, most of which can be viewed in the Queen Bead Collection. Some are even more rare, such as the "Wind," "Raven's Wings" and "Rhythm of Life" Tahitian pearl pendant and earrings that are a part of the Diamond in a Pearl Collection.
As with much of Galatea's jewelry, Chi was inspired by nature and art when creating carved pearls. He says the ancient miniature Netsuke carvings of ancient Japan were also an inspiration. The carving technique is proprietary and not as easy as one might think. Perfected over years of trial, error and patience, each Galatea pearl artisan is trained by Chi. Pearl nacre, although softer than diamonds, is quite hard and must be handled with the utmost care. Each pearl is viewed individually to ascertain the design that it will best respond to. The pearl is then marked by hand and carved. Afterwards, it is polished to smooth the surface. The result is often amazing. With the depth of nacre exposed, you can actually see many more colors in every pearl.
Pearls.com is committed to selling only accurately-graded, true gem-quality pearls. Here's what that means:
While many factors affect pearl quality, two of the most vital are luster and surface quality. Roundness is also a key factor.
PLEASE NOTE: Pearls.com does consider pearls below our "A" quality rating to be jewelry-grade pearls, and we do not sell them.
Here's a chart that compares common pearl sizes to a dime.
Some quick guidance:
Having said that... if you're like us, it can be hard to 'visualize' what a 4mm or 8mm or any "mm" pearl size really looks like. And posting an image online isn't so good since they vary in size based on your monitor/resolution.
So here we're going to list some common pearl sizes compared to 'real world' objects that may be easier for you to picture:
Our return policy is designed to ensure you are entirely, 100% happy with your purchase.
We want you to be thrilled with your pearls, and if you're not, then call us - we'll make it right.
We offer full no-hassle refunds for 60 days after your purchase, plus we offer store credit for returns up to a full year.
Yes, you can get your money back for 60 days!
CLICK HERE if you need to initiate a return. Or call us toll-free at 844-pearlscom (844-732-7572) 9am-5pm EST.
Return Requirements (AKA details the Lawyers make us include):
Refund Processing Time & Procedure
CLICK HERE if you need to initiate a return. Or call us toll-free at 844-pearlscom (844-732-7572) 9am-5pm EST.